CITRUS COUNTY PARKS & RECREATION RECREATIONAL SWIM TEAM
Since 1995 the Sun Coast Swim Team has established itself as the source of many of Citrus County’s very best competitive athletes. More important than accomplishments alone, Sun Coast Swim Team takes pride in offering a program for all ages and ability levels. Everyone has a special place on the Sun Coast Swim Team. Age group swimming builds a strong foundation for a lifetime of good physical and mental health by teaching time management, self-discipline and healthy fitness habits. Sun Coast Swim Team teaches the ideals of honesty, integrity, fair play and sportsmanship in addition to the techniques and values of hard work and dedication.
SCST TEAM HIGHLIGHTS
• Several SCST Swimmers have gone on to swim in college at NCAA Division I, II, and III and at other schools.
-including: FSU, US Naval Academy, Norwich University, Indian River, Florida Southern, VMI and others.
• The Crystal River High School and Lecanto High School Swim Teams with strong support from swimmers who also swim for SCST have won more then a dozen FHSAA District Titles.
“Why Should I Swim?”
There are many benefits to getting involved in competitive swimming, including:
Swimming promotes physical development and the setting and achievement of personal goals.
Swimming develops aerobic endurance and is one of the most beneficial forms of cardiovascular exercise.
Swimming enhances your natural flexibility and promotes muscle development.
Swimming develops superior coordination.
Swimming is the most injury-free of all sports.
Swimming is a sport that will bring a lifetime of fitness and enjoyment.
Swimming promotes time management skills and academic achievement.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Do I have to be a good swimmer to join the team? All you need to be able to do is swim 25 yards of freestyle and backstroke. (This is the length of most pools)
- Do I have to tryout? No. We hold swimmer evaluations to help us place swimmers into appropriate practice groups. We have these weekly during practices. See dates at the right.
- What if I’m involved in other sports? Most of our swimmers participate in other activities, too. We encourage this, especially for our younger swimmers. Our practices are scheduled to allow for more opportunities to participate in other activities.
- Are meets held every weekend? No, and it is up to you how many meets you enter based on your schedule.
- Is there a lot of travel involved? Most of our meets are in the Tampa Bay to Ocala area and at our home pool. Although we do offer the opportunity for travel to other areas, all are optional.
- Where are practices held? Practices are held at Bicentennial Park Pool, Crystal River.
- May I join anytime? Yes, you may join the team anytime throughout the year.
- Do the boys have to wear “speedos” ? No, although they are still around, most boys opt for the knee-length “jammer” suit.
- What is the cost? The cost is based on your practice schedule. The SCST fees are very affordable. There is no fund raising.
- Who does the coaching and what are their certifications? We have an experienced staff of coaches who love what they do. They are all certified through USA Swimming and are required to maintain CPR, Safety Training for Swim Coaches and First Aid. Some hold additional coaching certifications as well.
FALL, WINTER & SPRING PRACTICE DATES (During School Year*)
Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays
Session I (High School Swimmers)
Mon, Wed & Fri – 4:00p.m. to 5:30p.m. | Tue & Thur – 4:00p.m. to 6:00p.m.
Session II (Elementary & Middle School Swimmers)
Mon, Wed & Fri – 5:30p.m. to 7:00p.m.
SUMMER PRACTICE DATES (During Summer Break*)
Session I (High School Swimmers) 6:15a.m. to 8:00a.m.
Session II (Elementary & Middle School Swimmers) 7:45a.m. to 9:00a.m.
* Subject to holidays and/or school winter/spring breaks
** Practices may be canceled due to unsafe weather conditions.
Bicentennial Park Pool
8145 W. Bicentennial Park Drive
Crystal River, Fl. 34429
Both home and away swim meets are scheduled throughout the
year. Parents will be responsible
for transporting swimmers to all practices and swim meets.